Alhaurin de la Torre Spain
Its municipal area stretches from the eastern section of La Sierra de Mijas to the Guadalhorce Valley and the Malaga Basin, in a landscape ranging form pine groves to vegetable gardens, sprinkled with numerous housing estates and residential areas.
The village was founded by the Arabs, but retains little evidence of its Moslem past, having become a dormitory town for Malaga and Torremolinos. Nearby are the Royal Pigeon Shooting Society and a golf course.
Pictures of Alhaurin de la Torre
Its origins date back to the period in which Gades exercised its hegemony over the whole of the Frentum Gaditanum - Straits of Gibraltar - , over 3 thousand years ago, when Phoenicians began their wanderings and founded their first commercial factories, encouraged by the rich mineral deposits to be found in the south of the peninsula.
In Roman era, it was called Lauro Vetus, and, later, Laurona. According to Floro, fugitives from the Battle of Munda took refuge in Lauro, and it was here that followers of Julius Caesar beheaded Gnaeus Pompeius. He may have been referring to Lauro Vetus, although the early settlement was located lower down than the present-day village.
During the Moslem occupation it was called Alhaurein. Remains of Arabic walls are to be found in the village, specifically in the Torre de Alhaurin vegetable garden.
It was conquered by the Catholic Monarchs in 1485.
On 5 December, 1831, in La Alqueria, a district in the village's municipal area, General Torrijos and his entourage, who, several days previously, had landed on the beaches of Fuengirola, believing that the people of Malaga and, more importantly, its garrison would support his insurrection against Ferdinand VII's absolutist régime, were cornered. After 3 days of resistance, they gave themselves up and were shot a few days later on The Misericordia beach in the provincial capital; he was later buried in the mausoleum which stands at the centre of Malaga's Plaza de la Merced square.
The 18th century saw work begin on an aqueduct which was never completed, today the remains of this unusual project still stand, a curious architectural structure which has provided shelter for a series of houses built under what have become known as the Zapata Arches (Arcos de Zapata).
At the end of the 19th century, Alhaurin de la Torre, along with the rest of Malaga, was affected by a phylloxera epidemic, which destroyed most of the village's vines.
Alhaurin de la Torre Council
Address: Plaza de la Juventud S/N. 29130. Alhaurin de la Torre (Malaga).
Phone Number: +34 952 41 71 50.
Wikipedia: Alhaurin de la Torre.
View the map of Alhaurin de la Torre.
Find more information about Malaga.